Switch from Blogger to WordPress without losing traffic
Do you want to Switch from Blogger to WordPress? If Yes! then you are present at the right track to best sort of help in this regard. Almost 3 out of 10 bloggers start their career from the blogger platform because it is easy and free to use. If I could say that blogger is one of the majestic platforms to learn the basics of blogging and website building, then it will be 100% true and up to the mark. When you will start getting more and more traffic and organic subscribers, then you have to think about the self-hosted WordPress platform. It is more powerful and robust than Blogger. In this article, I am going to explore you the steps of how to switch from Blogger to WordPress without losing traffic.
WordPress is far better than Blogger:
Self-hosted WordPress platform is better than Blogger due to following reasons. Let’s have a look:
- You have the option to install your own plugins that will make limitless functionality options.
- Self-hosted WordPress platform looks more adorable and brilliant because of countless options and it looks like professional.
- More storage and bandwidth options are readily available on the WordPress platform.
- The majestic and adorable themes will let you customize the website according to your own taste.
Before we proceed we need to take a backup of our Blog Spot content for precaution of any loss of data.
The first thing you need to do is exporting your BlogSpot blog.
log into your BlogSpot dashboard, Click on Settings > Other & click on backup content.
Six Simple Steps to Switch from Blogger to WordPress:
#1: Find better Host and then install WordPress
The first and main step that you have to do is to find a better host. A host is a company that stores your website published data on their servers. They will not own your content, unlike the blogger. You can also get more storage space, bandwidth and hosting packages by paying service price to web-host Company.
You can get per month hosting starting from $3 to 7$. This pricing package is on the shared server. If you want to get on the dedicated server, then you have to pay $100 to $300 per month. When you will get the hosting, then register your brand domain on the hosting account. After that, you have to install WordPress content management system on your PC or Laptops.
Click below to know the step by step process of creating a WordPress Blog:
#2: Import Blog to WordPress
WordPress gives you a tool for importing your blog on the WordPress platform. But you have to be lucky in your luck. Start the process by backing up XML template for keeping things safe. For this, you just have to choose the template from the left side of the blog from the blogger dashboard, then click backup or restore.
- Access the dashboard and do these little processes.
- Choose tools and click on the import option on the sidebar
- Choose the option of blogger
- Click on the install button from the pop-up. This will download blogger importer plugin.
- Click on the link that says Activate plugin and then run importer.
- Click on the authorize button. Login to your Gmail account and click on allow access.
- Click on blog import button to shift your blogs from Blogger to WordPress.
- Your blogs are now shifted from blogger to the self-hosted WordPress platform.
#3: Author Assigning
You have to assign authors to your WordPress platform. If you are only the single user of your website, then it’s fine.
If there are more than one, then you have to attribute all the posts from the drop-down menu to show the name of the owner of the specific post. After that, click on the save changes button.
#4: Edit your all Permalinks
Click on the setting button and go to the permalinks in the dashboard of WordPress. Make yourself sure that all of your links are as same as they were placed in the blogger. There might be chances that your links will be saved like this,
Choose the custom structure and insert the above-written code in that box.
#5: Redirect the blog posts
One thing that will surely worry you is about links and search engine optimization rankings that have been on the top in the blogger platform. For this process, you have to redirect all posts. Download the blogger to WordPress plugin of redirection. Follow the given steps in this regard.
- Go to the plugin and then add New.
- Search “Blogger for WordPress” Plugin.
- After Installing, activate it.
- Click on tools and then “Blogger to WordPress redirection”.
- Start configuration.
- Then click on the button to get the code.
- Navigate blogger account and click on the template from the dashboard of WordPress. After that, revert to Classic Template.
- Place the code that you find in step 6 (Get the code button) into the box and then click the save button.
#6: Redirection of the Feeds
If you want to check that your previous subscribers are now attached to the new WordPress site, then you have to do a little easy step. Click on the setting button and go to others. You will find add under the site feed that is adjacent to I Post feed URL redirection. Add WordPress site address to I post and then save the settings.
Finally, you have shifted all of your blog posts to the WordPress platform without losing SEO ranking and your previous posts.